Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Return to Kami Sushi Express

This evening we were looking for someplace quick to stop for dinner, and we happened by Kami Sushi Express on 2nd Avenue. I had not been back to this establishment since the infamous iced tea episode, but I had enjoyed the food and figured my family would provide some cover, since I had gone there alone the first time.

They didn't seem to recognize me when we went in, even though our assigned waitress was clearly the same one I had before. Of course this time I knew enough to stick with the hot tea rather than iced. My wife ordered the same, and also ice water for the table.

When she brought out the drinks, the waitress delivered ice water to everyone but hot tea only to my wife. She asked innocently, "you wanted hot tea as well?" I'm pretty sure she was playing some kind of sinister psychological game, but decided to be low-key about it. "Yes, please," I responded.

The rest of the meal was pretty uneventful, so I'm not sure who ended up winning the contest of wills. I had the bento box dinner with avocado salad, harumaki, and beef negimaki. It was a really good combination; even better than the unagi I had tried before. My wife and little J were happy with the tempura platter they shared.

The staff including the waitress was all smiles when we left, but I think it's still possible that they are holding a grudge. We'll see what happens next time...

On a side note, I had noticed a week or so ago that there appeared to be a new awning out front, and it seems that the name of the place changed from Kama Sushi to Kami Sushi Express. Certainly the newer awning is an improvement; the old one was a bit crooked and a dirty yellow color (that is, a yellow color with a lot of layers of age and dirt). Definitely a big improvement. There doesn't seem to be any change in the menu or approach, though. Inside the place has always looked nicer; now there is not as much of a disparity.

No comments: