Thursday, September 6, 2007

Delayed Train

This morning when I got to the subway station on may way to work, the train was waiting at the platform with the doors open. As I got on, I heard an announcement over the loudspeaker that the train was delayed due to traffic on the tracks ahead.

The most significant thing about this event was that, unlike every other announcement I have ever heard in the subway, I was actually able to decipher the message. Ordinarily these announcements are so distorted that I assumed their only use was as a source of comic amusement to the train operators as they watch confused travelers trying to figure out what they might mean, full of anxiety that the missing puzzle piece in their travel confusion might be forever lost.

But not today. Today the message was clear, and I was surprised that everyone was waiting so calmly and quietly when I got on board, as if somewhere nearby a hall monitor were watching. Their apparent patience was impressive. Lucky for me, the doors closed and we were on our way immediately after I got on board.

No comments: